Old 10-11-2011, 06:59 AM
Country1

I was a VERY big boy. Always had a weight problem, tipping the scale at 365 by age 15. In the early 70's, the fashions leaned toward beer logo shirts, wild pattern fabrics, and patched, quilted jeans. As a fat (yes I can say it) kid I had to get clothes in the "husky boys" section, where style was not the word of the day. Our clothing was dark, "heavy duty" and old man looking. Daddy was big too, but he wasn't a man to worry about style. Momma and Daddy finally talked me into trying something different...clothing up to date and more stylish. Never one to try to draw attention to myself, it was a totally new concept. Momma went to the fabric store and bought patterns in the biggest size she could find. She carefully added newspaper to them where needed. Budweiser fabric, wild stripes, flowers and psychodelic patterns came home from the store. Cigarette in the tray. Full-time nursing position at the VA hospital done for the week, Momma sewed into the night. Sometimes Daddy and I would take off for the weekend to a family farm Friday to camp out, taking both Rottweilers but leaving the old Collie at home with Momma for company. Come Sunday, we'd return and Momma would have one or more shirts ready for fitting. Long story short (too late Don) that week I'd go to school sporting something nobody else had. Thank you Momma. I still remember...