Old 10-11-2011, 07:04 AM
deplaylady

Love those machines and their names - Fabric and Wizard!
I'm trying not to feel too guilty this morning - I bought my 401A (for $25) at a garage sale given by the SIL of my neighbor. I told her at the time I would show her how to use a serger - she sews these bowling shoe cover bottoms that could be done much easier on a serger. Anyways, to the point, she came last night and also brought her 'new' sewing machine so I could show her how to do a blind hem stitch. It was a Singer, and the most pathetic piece of gray plastic that I have ever seen. All I could think was - you sold your mom's sewing machine and bought this? Anyways, she hadn't even opened the accessories packet that came with it and only used it for straight stitching, which she is now going to do on the serger for the shoe bottoms and the tops on this machine. It does sew, but I had never seen or sewn with a new Singer up close. And this was one of the cheaper ones (I think, well, I hope it wasn't a lot of money.) She came with her SIL (my neighbor), they want to have sewing lessons,I suggested we just get together and sew and learn as they go.
(ps - I shouldn't feel too bad - her machine couldn't have sewn too bad - She made $20,000 last year making her shoe covers! )