Old 10-11-2011, 09:31 AM
BarbaraSue

Originally Posted by crafty_linda_b
Rita it might be some chemical they treat the fabrics with. A lot of it has fire retardant chemicals on it now. Just take an allergy pill when you plan to go and then make sure you wash your hands & fabric as soon as you get it home. Allergic to fabric is NOT a good thing for a quilter!! Happy Stitchin' crafty_linda_b
the sizing that is on alot of the imported fabrics is similar to formaldehyde. Also are the craft items from imported countries packed with sprayed packing material to decrease bugs and things. In some fabric and craft stores the shipping crates are brought into the store and then unpacked. So the fumes from these are let loose in the store. On days of new shipments, you can smell and know the difference than say two weeks later as it dissipates. A store that is not well ventilated will cause many allergy sufferers to have problems with it.
Just shopping I have a mild reaction I can tolerate. When I worked for a major chain store of fabrics and crafts, I increasingly began to have worse issues until I had to quit. Working the cutting table became my worst place due to handling the fabrics all day long. I would now know to use gloves, a cotton glove for me so my hands breathe.
But I still quilt without problems.