Thread: storing quilts
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 10:56 AM
QuiltnNan
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Probably the "politically correct" way to store quilts is carefully folded in 100% cotton pillowcases which are washed and then rinsed several times to remove all traces of detergent. Then they should be placed low in a closet (higher shelves are hotter) where there is less risk of moisture/humidity. The quilts should be refolded on different lines occasionally.

Alternately, they can be stored on the guest bed between cotton sheets washed as above, and covered with blanket and bedspread to block any light exposure. Moisture, light, plastic, cedar chest wood, and particularly body oils are the worse 'corrupters' of fibers.

Most of us use our quilts and don't plan or anticipate them being a 75 year old heirloom some day.

But as one who collects antique quilts and has had a 225 year old family heirloom quilt, I see the need for better care of our textiles when they are 'young'. My family quilt is now at the Textile Museum of Colonial Williamsburg because it was "dead" by the time it came under my care and could no longer be used or displayed safely yet had historical significance and provenance.

Jan in VA
thanks, jan, for that wonderful explanation