Old 10-11-2011, 04:55 PM
LindaM49

I've been using the same pattern to make bags/purses. So in this new book I got last week there is a bag pattern a bit different. I decided to use this pattern to make my son's girlfriend her bag for Christmas. So I went to Joann's today armed with my flyer with the $5.00 off your order over $35.00 coupon.

OMG...I walked out of there spending $96. AFTER the coupon.

Granted I did buy a new omni grid ruler since the one I have cracked...I have no clue how that happened. And a can of the basting spray. But everything else was for this bag.

It called for a jelly roll...their selection was horrible but I did find brightly colored florals that I think/HOPE she will like. Then it called for solids so I bought a jelly roll of those. I needed cotton webbing, interfacing, 1 1/4 yds. of fabric for the lining and pockets, batting and I bought plastic canvas to use for the bottom. Oh and I bought a 5 pack of what they call a bundle (6 pieces of 18" x 21" fabric that matchs the flowered jelly roll) that I need for another piece of the bag. I had a copy of the American Quilter magazine in my hand and laid it on the counter first but it wasn't in my bag or on my receipt so I have no clue what the cashier did with it...lol. But maybe I can be glad I didn't add that to my total. When she gave me my total I almost fainted. If you subtract the price of the spray and the ruler ($31.) I just spent $65. to make 1 bag.

I guess I need to build up a stash of solid colors. Everything I have made since I got back to sewing is patterned.

Just thinking of how many posts I have read on here where someone says they quote prices for quilts and people think it's too high. Heck I could have bought her a fabric bag cheaper than this. But it looks like a fun pattern so I guess she's worth it. LOL