Old 10-12-2011, 07:30 AM
Charlee

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
Hello, I hope it's ok to just jump right in here with a few questions and pictures of my machine. Please forgive me if I'm "butting" in here.

I bought a Singer in a table a few years ago for $35 at an antique/garage sale. I have several old machines but am just now really starting to look into them and learn more about them. Hopefully I didn't over pay - I believe it is a Singer 15-91, and it sews fine. It sounds like it needs a little oil and I would love to refinish the cabinet. I have three little girls and would love for this to be their machine to learn on. I really want them to grow up with a little knowledge and some appreciation for new AND old sewing machines. I read another thread on here (I cannot remember by who, I've been reading for hours on end off and on for a few days now! Lol*) about someone who refinished the same model machine but in a Queen Ann cabinet...they used what appeared to be a stripper on it? I wrote down the product - Klean Kutter Refinisher...then they used Howard Restore A Finish. Would that be the suggested way to go about restoring this cabinet? Any other suggestions? I have never attempted anything like this in my LIFE!

Also I have a Singer Sphynx Treadle that I cannot seem to find much information online about, if anyone can tell me anything about it. Other than finding on the Singer website that it was made pre-1900 because the serial number has no prefixes. I will try and take a few pictures of that one later on today...here are some pictures of the 15-91.

Thank you all so much for all of the information you have shared here too, it's AMAZING! It is taking me a little bit of time to wade through it all, but it is SO VERY enjoyable. You all have me wanting to save any little sewing machine I find and try and bring it back to life! LOL*
You didn't overpay, and you have a really nice machine and cabninet! :)

It all depends on how much work you want to get into to fix the cab...I think it was Dunster that used the Klean Kutter on her Queen Anne...it turned out beautiful, didn't it? :)

If you go look at my blog (the second link, not the DJ link) I just did a Davis treadle cabinet that was in pretty bad shape. Glenn "talked" me through refinishing it by using simple denatured alcohol to remove the old shellac without taking off the old stain, I did use a wood stain to "brighten" the finish a bit and even it out (Provincial was the shade I used) and then I put new shellac on it, using instructions that Glenn shared with me. A lot of work, and messy....make sure you have gloves!! ;)

A way to just "fix" scratches in the finish would be to use Howard's Restor-a-Finish following the directions on the can, and finish with a good wax...I like Howard's "Feed-n-Wax" with orange oil...just cuz I like the smell of it! :lol: ;)

Have fun, and you have my respect for teaching your girls to use and respect these oldies!! :)