Old 10-12-2011, 07:56 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
Hello, I hope it's ok to just jump right in here with a few questions and pictures of my machine. Please forgive me if I'm "butting" in here.

I bought a Singer in a table a few years ago for $35 at an antique/garage sale. I have several old machines but am just now really starting to look into them and learn more about them. Hopefully I didn't over pay - I believe it is a Singer 15-91, and it sews fine. It sounds like it needs a little oil and I would love to refinish the cabinet. I have three little girls and would love for this to be their machine to learn on. I really want them to grow up with a little knowledge and some appreciation for new AND old sewing machines. I read another thread on here (I cannot remember by who, I've been reading for hours on end off and on for a few days now! Lol*) about someone who refinished the same model machine but in a Queen Ann cabinet...they used what appeared to be a stripper on it? I wrote down the product - Klean Kutter Refinisher...then they used Howard Restore A Finish. Would that be the suggested way to go about restoring this cabinet? Any other suggestions? I have never attempted anything like this in my LIFE!

Also I have a Singer Sphynx Treadle that I cannot seem to find much information online about, if anyone can tell me anything about it. Other than finding on the Singer website that it was made pre-1900 because the serial number has no prefixes. I will try and take a few pictures of that one later on today...here are some pictures of the 15-91.

Thank you all so much for all of the information you have shared here too, it's AMAZING! It is taking me a little bit of time to wade through it all, but it is SO VERY enjoyable. You all have me wanting to save any little sewing machine I find and try and bring it back to life! LOL*
Well worth the trouble to bring back to life. You need one for each girl...