View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 09:06 AM
dilyn

A cabinet...
I am by no means a woodworker but when I get an idea in my head it sloshes around in my brain until I either throw out the idea as a ‘can’t be done’ idea or a ‘I’ll bet I can do it!’ idea. I did it…with mixed results. With the price of thread so high, I needed a place to store it away from light, dust and dog hair. The cabinet that I was using was not working out very well for me so I made this one.
I made myself a vow that I would only buy what I could not scrounge up in the workshop or studio. Turned out all I needed to buy was wood so I bought the cheapest pine available. (I’m hoping that decision will not come round and bite me in the ol’ behind on down the road).
The quilted door covers took longer to make than the rest of the piece. I made a 84 X48 quilt and cut it fourths and applied it to the doors. All fabric came from my stash except for the dark brown sashing separating the diamonds.
It is not quite finished, it needs some touch up paint and the door frames need a little more work, but for all intents and purposes it’s already working for me. I will need to get some new catches for door closures

This is my quilted cabinet...sewing table cleared and everythilng....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]270045[/ATTACH]

This is how it started..
[ATTACH=CONFIG]270046[/ATTACH]

locked and loaded...well not locked, but you get the idea..
[ATTACH=CONFIG]270047[/ATTACH]

Closeup of thread and background
[ATTACH=CONFIG]270048[/ATTACH]

a place to keep leftover cut strips
[ATTACH=CONFIG]270049[/ATTACH]

closeup of doors
[ATTACH=CONFIG]270050[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-269992.jpe   attachment-269993.jpe   attachment-269994.jpe   attachment-269995.jpe   attachment-269996.jpe  

attachment-269997.jpe