View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 09:29 PM
omak

When is the last time you changed your needle?
Can't tell you how many times I have found that to be my problem - - us old factory workers just keep using a needle until the blamed thing breaks!
One time, I couldn't get my machine to sew right, tried taking it apart, only to find out that I hadn't put the needle in correctly! The needle has a groove in the pointy end of the needle that the thread glides through ... if that ends up on the wrong side, well ... it just won't do what you want it to! (Just a word in advance <g> because I am sure it will come up for you -- we all have dealt with it in one form or another.)
You sound like you have a really good fabric selection for your D9P ... after talking about doing one for WEEKS, even teaching a lady to take back to her sewing group to learn ... I started a D9P today.
I made twenty two blocks today, before I realized I really didn't know how many blocks it will take to make a lap/twin sized quilt. <sigh> that is just the way it goes, sometimes!
I am so glad you are planning your second quilt ... you will learn a lot with that one, also!
If changing the needle doesn't help, then re-check your tensions ... they don't always hold consistently, and don't forget that with all the fabric, intersections, and batting ... you will want to lengthen the stitch to three or even four ...
I have heard of some who have had to change the needle three or four times before they got one that worked ... but, that doesn't usually happen.
Let us know how you are doing <g>
it is a lot of fun to help another person get excited about quilting!