View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 10:19 AM
Lisanne

Hi, all!

I've been to one of the chats here (great people, got lots of questions answered), but I think this is my first post.

I'm a new quilter, just finished a beginner class. In class we made a table runner of three nine patches, sashing, border and binding. It was a machine quilting class, but I don't have a machine (I used theirs) and want to start by hand quilting.

So I'm setting out to make a sampler quilt. The first blocks will be simple pieced blocks, then I plan to progress to more complex pieced blocks that include stars and curves, then applique blocks, a wholecloth block somewhere in the sequence, then a mix of pieced, applique and embroidery for the final block or two. I'm thinking 12" x 12" blocks, either 12 or 16 of them.

I realize this will take quite some time, but that's fine. The point is to learn and practice, and to have something to do.

Why quilting? Well, I've always loved needle arts. I came across Jennifer Chiaverini's Elm Creek Quilt books this spring and read them all, one after another. That's what inspired me.

Questions:
1. When you design or draw your blocks on paper, do you use graph paper? Do you draw it the actual size? Where do they sell 12" x 12" graph paper? Or do you just measure right on the template?
2. For those who have made a sampler quilt, did you use a specific color scheme? I kind of envision very different colors for my blocks, but I'm afraid it'll make the overall quilt look horrible.

Guess that's long enough for one post. : )