Thread: Baking Problem
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 07:29 AM
pal

Been baking my Russian Coffee Cake for 40 years, never had a problem.

Baked it last night and it is completely inedible. Tastes like SALT!!!

Does baking soda go bad - deteriate - break down?????

How about baking powder?

I keep the chopped walnutz in the refrigerator. Could they have gone bad?????

I opened the oven to check it and noticed that the outer rim of the cake was puffed up, and that the cinnamon,sugar, walnutz mixture was no longer around the rim - almost like the part of the cake that touched the cake pan was expanding from the bottom of the cake pan. In other words, the center of the cake was fine, but the outer part was all puffed up. This was all settled down when I took it out of the oven.

Here are the ingredients: sugar, butter,eggs, baking soda, baking powder, flour, sour cream, vanilla, cinnamon and walnutz.

Last week, I made the cream cheese & crescent roll recipe . I don't know what happened, but we had to throw the whole tray out. It tasted of the spare ribs that I had made a few nights before. I was devastated because it was dessert for company. My friend suggested that the roasting pan probably was worn out and became porous. That's also the roasting pan that I use for the Russian Coffee Cake. So this time I used a pyrex roasting pan that was a little smaller, and therefore the cake would have been higher.

What the heck is going on???????????? Well, if it's not the baking soda or baking powder, then I am clueless. Any ideas?

Throwing out two expensive desserts in two weeks is getting me down!!!!! My ego is suffering!!!!!!!!!! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!