Thread: Baking Problem
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 11:13 AM
valsma

Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by Glassquilt
Originally Posted by QuiltE
Too salty ... my first thought would be that you have put in too much baking soda/powder. An easy slip-up is to add in tablespoons instead of the teaspoons the recipe calls for.
This was my first thought. If anything distracted you while baking it's easy to do.
Do you pre-measure all ingredients? Put each in a separate custard cup and there's no chance of adding twice.
I always take all ingredients out before I start, and then put them away as soon as I use each one.

I did use different measuring spoons this time, and might have been distracted. Also, didn't know to put the nutz in the freezer.
I keep nuts in the freezer to if I don't use them right away. The oils in the nuts can go rancid in them and cause bad taste. I also keep my sesame seeds in the freezer for the same reason. I take everything out and put it away immediately after I have added it to my bowl. I get distracted and have ruined a thing or two also. As for the pan, if it is a coated metal pan it could be becoming porus as someone suggested and the flavors of other foods are staying in the metal. I also do all my baking sweets in glass except my Wilton cake pans, savory roasting in metal, never the two to meet.