Old 10-13-2011, 02:04 PM
Charlee

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
Originally Posted by BoJangles
You are welcome, but we still need to see a picture of your machine. The Sphinx decal was also used on some very eary 15's. Singer started making the 15's in 1895. If you have one of those with the Sphinx decal, you are in the minority! Those are very hard to find! Does your machine have a shuttle? Or does it have a bobbin? The model 27/127 has a shuttle (vibrating shuttle), the model 15's have bobbins (oscillating)!

Nancy

Uh oh - now you have me all excited and nervous too! It does have a bobbin - one like my "newer" old machines. Is that normal? I thought maybe it is newer than I originally thought because I thought all the old ones had those "bullet" type shuttles.

Here are a few pictures...I'm sad to say someone used this as their coffee table (certainly not me - my Husband would be put out of the house if he dared to put a cup on my sewing machine!) for some time so there are rings. Also the decals are starting to turn a bit silver and one is nearly scratched off. Is there any way to preserve them from any further damage? I do like to sew on this machine, and it's a great one for my kids because the bobbin is one that they are familiar with, but I don't want to ruin it.
OMG!!!!!!!!! Do you realize what you have????? You have one the earliest Model 15's with the Sphinx decal!!!! I have only seen one other - until I saw that machine I did not even know Singer used the Sphinx on their earliest 15's! How cool is that????????? I can't tell for sure from the picture, but what is the serial number?

Nancy
Ok - I don't want to get too excited until I know for sure, but how awesome is it if that is what I actually have?! :) Now I went back and looked at the serial number, I DID make a mistake there. The S is worn and old and looked like a 3, so I thought it had no prefixes but I was wrong, it has one. The serial is S722420. I don't see the number on the Singer website, unless I'm reading it wrong.

Oh, and is THIS what you mean by a bobbin? These old machines have odd names for things so I want to make sure I understand correctly. Here's a pic...

Yep!! That's a bobbin...or the casing for it anyway! :)

Your serial number shows a 15K, indicating that your machine was made in Killbowie, Scotland, 1906.

You made a NICE find!!