View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 06:59 PM
omak

My experiences at quilt classes to date have not been very good, and I hesitated to say anything, but here are some things I observed.
Be prepared ... do NOT promise a technique and only manage to put out three of the five steps ...
Have the pattern/technique you say you are going to teach MATCH the technique/pattern that you hand out in class ...
Do NOT tell the class that you will get them some part of the information sometime when they come into the shop next time.
Do NOT blame the students for not following instructions when the instructions you spoke or handed out were about as clear as mud because you were doing it all on the run, off the top of your head, while planning what you are going to do that quilt top coming up next week.
And, if a student manages to do something backwards, take a good look at the block to see if it isn't exactly the same thing, just in a different direction ...
Ask! <g> I will tell you the whole sordid tale ...
oh! And! do NOT tell students what they need to prepare before they come to class, figuring that you have told everyone ... have the instructions WRITTEN down BEFORE class time if you want your students to come prepared ...
I am pretty sure you have never been to any of the quilt classes I have attended <g>, I am looking forward to how your students did.

I know that some of us students are not the brightest bulbs on the tree, but most of us aren't as inept as some instructors think we are. Nor, are we so naive that we can't figure out when an instructor is more impressed with itself than anyone else in the shop ... if you get my drift <g>.
I know that you have never taught a class I attended, but since you wanted to know what a student wants, I just HAD to vent a bit!
If I thought it would make a difference, I would be doing it in person, but ... I just don't take classes there any more, so ... if I sound bitter, I apologize in advance! :roll: