View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 07:25 PM
sapdoggie

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I've been teaching a community quilt class for several years. I have a mixture of beginners to advanced. I have a beginner block and a more difficult block pattern at each class. Everyone can choose which block they want to make or both. I show them the finished block and during class fabric is cut allowing the beginners to learn that. It's a fun time and very informal. We try out different methods and lot of different rulers and tools. The blocks can be sewn there or taken home an sewn. I have big box of scraps that I let everyone pick through for different colors and many bring more scraps to add to it. I learn a lot from everyone too. I encourage the class to bring show and tell, anything they want to share and of course bring the blocks from the previous classes to show. Before class everyone pins their blocks or items to a piece of felt along the wall. One thing that is a big hit is to have a drawing each class for a simple door prize! It's something I find a free pattern for and make. Everyone gets a copy of the pattern and the door prize winner gets the finished item.
I have a big easel with every step of the block pattern made in advance. that really helps the members to go look at it and see exactly how it is done. I may have four to eight blocks of the same pattern in different stages of piecing. Teaching is a lot of prep work and be prepared for the smallest detail to throw you off! :shock:

What a great idea for those of us who are visual learners.
Love the quilt in your avatar!!!