Thread: 401-A Baby
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 07:33 PM
debbieumphress

Originally Posted by postal packin' mama
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by postal packin' mama
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
lol Sorry - didn't mean to make things more confusing. Let me to explain it this way:

On the left side of the diagram, which is for the 401, where ever it shows the "Selector Patterns" knob, those are the built-in stitches & dial settings. (Example: Zig zag, Ball, Domino) Where it shows "Special Fashion Discs" & "Fashion Discs", those are the individual discs that can be purchased and used to do the stitches not available with the built-ins. (Example: disc 11 ribbon stitch, disc 1 arrowhead stitch, disc 5 banner stitch, disc 21 chevron).
Okay, but I was wondering where those additional discs/cams were inserted on the 401A? (not being argumentive at all, just asking for clarification cuz
I didn't know about them. Thanks!)
It's just amazing what can be learned from this board.
No problem! :D
Take a look at the picture of Debbie's machine on page 1. See on the very top of the machine where the 2 bobbin spools are? That is a compartment lid that opens up. Here's a couple of pictures I found online:
Well, color me BLUSH -- I've that 401A for decades (it was my Mom's) and never used that feature -- didn't really notice it, probably. Wow! Thanks for this posting and your patience, too.
The 401A is indeed a wonderful machine.
A Singer service guy told me to never give up that one cuz
it's the last one made with all metal components.
Glad QC found those pictures. I was going to take a picture of my top. This machine is so clean too. I have her in the living room checking her out. She is a 1951 Elisabth, NJ.