Thread: amish quilts
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 08:44 AM
leatheflea

I went to an Amish shop in a little town outside of lancaster pa. And older amish lady owned the shop. After looking around at all quilts and quilt tops for sale, I asked if they were all made by the amish and she said most. There were a few that the local ladies had made but they were marked. So I went back to look to see which was which. and you couldnt tell the difference, they all were machine pieced and with a variety of colors and prints. Some were machine quilted and some not. the ones that were hand done were displayed at the front of the store, I suppose so they could keep a better eye on them, but they too had prints. she had a small section of bolts of fabrics in the back room, all were prints, she told me that yes it was for sale by the yard and yes she and the others would also use that fabric for making quilts. so I suppose in the old days the amish only used what they dyed themselves but now adays its just not so. This lady was so amish that she didnt even have buttons on her shirt, it was held together with straight pins, buttons are considers fancy things.