View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 03:03 PM
IAmCatOwned

I am trying to learn not to print out patterns until I'm ready to get fabric together to do the project. I probably only do one pattern for every 100 patterns I have downloaded. Waste of paper. I have them on the drive, but also burned to disk and on a thumb drive.

However, I don't always follow my own advice. I have several booklets for each craft, so this was just a learned experience. I use 3 ring books and sheet protectors for patterns, but have had the print shop make books for techniques (bias binding, 8 HSTs at a time, etc.).

Sort by topic that inspires you. My current sort is:

Easy - a quilt top that can be done in a hurry or doesn't require any brain power.
Holiday - good for themed feature fabric be it Halloween or North Woods novelties.
Novelties - Jar quilts, eye spy, that sort that uses many novelty fabrics
Time Intensive - Not necessarily expert, but each block may take an hour or more
Applique - Love them. Don't do very often though
Fusible Applique - quilts that must be fused as part of pattern.
Fabric Focus - Things like fabric panels. The Sidelights pattern is an example, but I have a lot of patterns that feature Asian fabrics
Technique - a technique I would like to try.

I do other kinds of sewing and have a separate book for that, which includes such things as potholders and bags.