Old 07-16-2009, 02:17 PM
patricej
Administrator

this news may not be of use to anyone who lives within a few miles of a walmart fabric department ...BUT for those who drive an hour or more each way to find one, i recommend you check out this webstore instead: http://stores.shop.ebay.com/CROWSNES...1QQ_fsubZQ2d33

here's the thing: most of their fabrics are $2.99 per yard (before shipping). the selection is waaaaaaaaaaaaay huge compared to walmart. most of it is Red Rooster which is several notches nicer than the fabs walmart now sells for nearly $5 per yard. AND if you scroll down to the GENERAL FABRICS CO. GOODS section you'll also find a surprising number of the same fabs walmart carries. that's pretty close to the same price walmart charges.

now, if you buy 5 or 6 yards, it'll ship in a flat rate envelope, so you add roundabouts $1 per yard for shipping ... about $4 per yard. walmart's nicest stuff is selling for more than that.

this shop can stuff up to 28 YARDS into the $10 flat rate box. so, if you buy enough to stuff the box, you're adding less than 50 cents per yard for shipping. (regardless of the amount you buy, they're always great about figuring out the least expensive way to mail it to you.)

now, think about the gas it takes to make a 2-hour round trip, PLUS the walk from and to the parking lot, the standing on line, etc, etc, AND the value of your time. buying online at webstores like this one saves me googobs of time and money ... and my walmart is within walking distance. (well, it would be if i wasn't so lazy. :lol: )

i put in the link because it happens to be my favorite starting place when i'm searching for savings on fabrics. but, it isn't the only place online to find nice fabs for a steal IF you're willing to shop around and build a favorites list of the places that always have a good selection of low-low prices on their clearance pages.

i buy so little now from walmart that i feel guilty when i pass the department. i make a few purchases now and then as a show of support to the wonderful ladies who work the department but that's about it. AND i can shop in my jammies - which i can't do at walmart unless i want to get arrested or hauled off in a straightjacket. :wink: :lol:

sorry to be so windy, but my point is to let you know that there is life after walmart. what goes around comes around. sooner or later, ignoring their customer base will catch up to them because we will all be laughing our way through the internet to spend our $$$ elsewhere.