View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 10:31 PM
COYOTEMAGIC

Originally Posted by nancylee
Is this a famous quilt shop? Gaston, NC, is one of the worst animal shelters in the country. Any dog or puppy that is shy or black they call unadoptable and kill in their gas chamber. They kill up to 90% of the animals that are brought in or found. I wish the people in the area would demand that the shelter is even slightly humane.

Sorry, I just saw the name, and that shelter has made me cry many, many times. I have done dog rescue (I am in NY, and bring pups and dogs up from high kill southern shelters) and I hate Gaston.
Peace,
nancy
Instead of putting us down, come down here and help us fight. We ARE fighting it! The use of th gas chamber has been banned. They are currently using injections. I personally know of 5 rescues that pull adoptable dogs and cats out of their on a daily basis. There is only so much we can do without the state support. Gaston is a poor county. 30% of the people are either unemployed or underemployed. There are only 5 Animal Control officers, 360square miles, mostly rural. Usually only 1 officer covering the whole thing most weekends. The Animal League of Gaston County and many local rescues are at every board meeting. We are currently trying to eliminate tying out your dog. We helped get it passed in Charlotte, we'll get it passed here too!

Have the facts!!