Old 07-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Rhonda
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
wesing was first to recognize the quote. :thumbup:

the thing about the Amish purposely making a mistake is a myth. it really irritates them, too, because it implies they think they could achieve absolutel perfection - which they know is impossible among human beings.
I sell my stuff to a store in Kalona Iowa which is an Amish area. What i was told by the Amish that live there is that there are differant rules for differant areas of Amish. The color preferences vary from Iowa to Pennsylvania etc. In the books they sell about the Amish and their quilting this is mentioned. It is said to be a practice so God will see that they are not being prideful. If they put in a mistake then God will know and so will others that they practice humilty in all they do. I can't quote the book I got that from but it was in Yoder's where I sell my stuff. And I talked with some Amish ladies who were hand quilting in the local bank( it was fascinating watching them hand quilt) and the lady I talked to said yes they do put in a mistake on purpose to show humility.
But areas may vary on this.