View Single Post
Old 10-15-2011, 06:34 AM
ashgrover

Originally Posted by QuiltE
My little Mr. Ted E. Bear quilt owner will no doubt need an "I Spy" quilt!!
For now, my main objective is to collect fabrics, as I watch for the pattern I choose to do.

For those who have already been down this road, and have seen children enjoying these ...

* what size of blocks have you found to be the most interesting to wee ones? too small? too big?

* at what age do children enjoy an I Spy the most? youngest? oldest?

* and any other tips, hints and tricks to help me make it the best ever!!! :)

THANK YOU!!!!!
I cut a card stock weight template with the 1/4 inch hem on it and cut the actual size of the block out of the center and carried it with me to check fabric when I saw one I liked and was amazing how many times I thought one would work and it was to big or small. Quilt I made had 200 hexagons and think they were three inches finished. I made our grandson son one when he was not quite 3 years old and worried he wouldn't know what it was and it turned out his Mom had been reading him the book so as soon as he saw it he threw it on the floor and layed down and starting saying I SPY a car etc. I made the one in the" P.S. I Love You Two" book, by Nancy J Smith and Lynda S. Milligan.
The hexigons were put together with solid colored triangles and there was a border that I machine embroidery that said I Spy 4 bugs 3 cows etc. I used what was in the quilt blocks in the saying. He used that quilt and had it until he was older and it was in shreds. It was well loved and used. Everytime I got a fabric or fabrics I went home and cut my blocks so when I had all my blocks it went together fast as the cutting was all done. The book is of, all kids and baby quilts and one I really have liked and used more then one quilt from it. It was published by Possibilities, publishers of DreamSpinners patterns. There is an 800 phone number for US and Canada-1-800-474-2665 or ask your quilt shop if they don't have it can they get it as it was a very popular soft cover book. Have a picture of quilt if I can find it. I haven't seen it sense we moved.