View Single Post
Old 10-15-2011, 08:36 AM
Honeynga

Didn't want to go yard selling this a.m., just wasn't in the mood. But got to thinking it is a great day and I had my list from the local newspaper......so, headed out !

First place I stopped was a a house that advertised they had lived there 20 years and never had a yard sale, oh great, a lot of old stuff. Even though they said they had lived there was a while I already knew it was in a very nice older settled neighborhood by a large lake.

WOW ! First thing I saw was a Singer in a cabinet !......looked it over and it looked great, sticker price was $20 and I didn't dare to barter on this ! The cabinet was worth at least that much ! Lady said she used to teach in a local school and the students used it to sew simple things......and it worked the last time she tried. Couldn't wait to give her the $20 and get it in my car. This machine is vintage 1941 according to web.

She also had another Singer that was rusted and didn't look too great, plus the throatplate was missing, she was only asking $10...kicking myself I didn't buy it also !

NEXT, stopped in at another sale in a very upscale golf community.....nice stuff, nothing in particular. Was talking to the homeowner and was telling her how excited I was to get the Singer in a cabinet...she asked if I was interested in another machine she had one that had belonged to her mother, in a little black case and I could have it for $25 !

ABSOLUTELY, she went inside, brought out the most beautiful Singer I've ever seen......excellent condition, case is in excellent condition....WOW.

Not sure it is a true Featherweight but am checking it out. I did Google the serial number and it was made in October, 1950; just can't find what designates it as a true Featherweight.

In all seriousness I cried when I got back in the car with this machine; I was raised in a foster home and my foster mother made almost all of my clothes on an identical Singer; oh the memories that came flooding back !

I'll post photos as soon as I can figure our my digital camera, which is another story in itself !

I've got "her" on my sofa and can't take my eyes off her......now for a name.......