Old 10-15-2011, 01:07 PM
quiltdoctor

When DH and I went to New York in August, I wanted to find a special machine to bring back to Texas. My sister in law went to calling every second hand shop and antique place in the Ithaca and Groton area. She found something that the sales lady said was really old but wouldn't be able to be used, for $20. Right up my alley (I hoped) Got there and bought it and could see it had an "8" on the front. Upon further inspection we could see it was a Wheeler-Wilson Model 8, without any kind of base or treadle. Pretty sad looking, but I could get it on the plane and bring her home, so I was happy.
I got home and started cleaning and could see the newest patent date was 1878, and from what I can find out, from the shape of the wheel, that is a good estimate. The first wheels have a flat edge on the outside, where later Model 8's have a rounded edge wheel. Her Serial Number is 385288. If anyone can find a place that has dating numbers for WW8's I'd love to know for sure (and to bookmark the spot). Here is is when she made it home to Texas.

Texas Jan

She was made before they started using glass feet.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]271875[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-271822.jpe   attachment-271823.jpe   attachment-271824.jpe