Thread: arthritis
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2009, 11:26 PM
quiltswithdogs

You can still quilt, you just may need to accept a few changes.
I have rheumatoid arthritis which is always on both sides. Some years are really bad. It can even be different one day from the next. In times my fingers are stiff, swollen, painful, I can't bend them enough to pick up things, sometimes even hold things like a mug onehanded. I can never close my fingers to a fist so coins, buttons, pins, fall out. What I had to change permanently was to cut fabric for brief periods on days I can hold the rotary cutter or ask someone to help, to accept machine sewing only and to give myself projects with no deadline or one that's a long time off. I never know what each day will be like. I haven't been able to work on my project for the past few days, but I know the baby quilt isn't due until Oct so the only pressure on me is that I want to do it so much. I can do the July BOM whenever I can manage it. When you can't bend your fingers, you need to make everything you hold be fat and wide. I've had to cush up lots of things to accomodate my hands; you should see how I hold my fingers sticking out when leaning on my cane (bad feet/ankles), only my thumb and heel of hand are holding on.

But your first plan should be what others here said... go to a hand physical therapist and occupational therapist for the best ultimate outcome. Be clever and kind to yourself and you will still enjoy quilting!
Cathy