View Single Post
Old 10-16-2011, 04:27 AM
Stitchnripper
Power Poster

I started out with my singer 327 that I bought for myself on layaway in 1961. Used that for years and years. Made my first quilt on it (flannel - what was I thinking?). then son bought a dinky Brother mechanical and asked me to make drapes. I said if I could have the machine. I LOVE that machine. It is about 7 years old, bought in Costco. Couldn't think why I would need another one. Then at a garage sale found an Elnita vintage machine, very heavy, with vertical bobbin and dropped feed dogs, for $10. Sews great. Went to an antique store and fell in love with a singer treadle class 15. Had to have it. Made a vintage apron and scrap quilt on it. Went to an estate sale on a lark and lo and behold, a singer class 66 in a cabinet on half price, for $18.75. Quilted the scrap quilt on it. I had my heart set on a featherweight and looked and looked, bid and lost, looked and looked and then came across one in a flea market/antique mall in an old supermarket. With bobbin case. I keep that one out to look at, but also made a small quilt on it and take it to quilting class. I love all of my machines for various reasons. My go to is the dinky mechanical Brother which will sew on anything, can do fmq and is not fussy about thread. I keep looking to see if anything else will cross my path.