Old 10-16-2011, 03:18 PM
gigi10

Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
Originally Posted by Lori S
Back in the day before the rotary cutter , I figure lots of quilts got started but never got past the boring cutting with templates , a pencil, and sissors.
My first quilt seemed to take forever just to cut out.
How many here quilted before the rotary cutter? What quilts did you make using the old templates and sissors ?
I began quilting in 1969 with scissors, pencil, and cereal boxes for templates. I hand sewed and hand quilted more than 100 quilts before I was able to afford a sewing machine. That was a happy day!

I made loads of traditional patterns that I based on quilts I saw in the Newark Museum in Newark NJ. (They have a quilt exhibit there now with some of those same quilts that inspired me.)
I made traditional pieced quilts: Log cabin quilts, Sawtooth stars, 9patch quilts, 4patch quilts, Lone Stars, Sister's Choice, Weathervane, Shoofly, Churndash, Jacob's Ladder, Three and Six, Snowball, Nelson's Victory. I had one quilting book early on-- Ruby McKim's 101 Patchwork Patterns.
Your work shows every loving stitch you make. It radiates love and prayers. Those who recieved one then or in the future will return the love and time. We are rich because we quilt, the old way or the new way. We have piece and contentment, a quite place for our hearts and minds to grow or heal, to think our own thoughts. Most of the world does not have this or even know how to obtain it. We are rich, all of us.