Old 10-17-2011, 05:30 AM
pstrwife

Originally Posted by Fixedgearhead
We are currently in N.C. And visited a relative who had possession of a lot of stuff that has been passed down from deceased relatives. She was given two things of imense value to her. One was the large family Bible, from the 1900's and the other item is a quilt sewn by her great grandmother. The quilt is of the flying geese pattern in blue against a white background. Within that pattern is the name of the woman, her great grandmother, and her husband, her great grandfather, and the date 1930. The quilt is in pretty good shape, with one exception. In the very center is what appears to be a small spot of blood which has penetated through to the back side. I will post a picture of the quilt upon our return home. Needless today, my wife is absolutely thrilled. I am wondering if there are any good ideas for the removal of the blood spot, or whatever it is. I have had good luck removing blood spots from cloth with "zout" and other oxygenated cleaners, but I don't want to completely wash this quilt due to the age and importance of the quilt. Any ideas?
John
Before you try anything else (IMHO) ( I know it sounds wierd) I would try to spitting on it. Your wife should do it because it is from her family. There is something about the enzymes in the saliva and blood. She may have to do it alot, though. I have tried it on my quilts. And it works. I would hate to try chemicals on such old fabric. It wouldn't hurt to try. Good luck