View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 07:17 AM
MarthaT

On Saturday I was quilting with my mother at a "pioneer settlement" as one of their demonstrations of the way we used to do things. (But we still do it that way!) A local dentist and his wife came along and asked us to finish three of her late mother's quilt tops they had brought with them. They are old! One was foundation pieced on newspaper and some of the newspaper is still attached. We found 1923 and 1925 dates on several of the pieces. I asked her if she really wanted the paper removed and have it quilted, but she insists she does. I'm open to any advice on finishing these quilts. She wants borders added to the other two to make them bed sized. I hand quilt, so that will be in keeping with the time period. Do you think the other two are '30 prints?

Diamond shaped pieces, set on-point Trip Around the World style.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]272801[/ATTACH]

On-point squares scrappy Trip Around the World.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]272802[/ATTACH]

Very old foundation pieced 1923-25 quilt top
[ATTACH=CONFIG]272803[/ATTACH]

Paper is still attached on part of the back. My sister and I spent several hours realding some interesting tidbits from these. How can I remove them and still preserve them?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]272804[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-272748.jpe   attachment-272749.jpe   attachment-272750.jpe   attachment-272751.jpe