View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 07:39 AM
LindaM49

I posted last week about buying everything to make my son's girlfriend her purse. I am using a different pattern than what I have used for all of the previous ones. I decided today I would cut everything to have it ready to sew. I am reading all of the instructions too...thoroughly for the first time and I come to the section about making the handles. My other purses used 2 long strips...here is how I am supposed to makes these handles.

I know how to prepare the strips...it's like making bindings. But what follows I don't quite understand. You have a piece of webbing cut 1" X 34" for one handle. You start 2" from the right end and about 1" from the bottom you secure/sew it, then you begin wrapping diagonaly around the webbing overlapping it and pinning it every so often to the webbing.

I pretty much understand all of that but...now comes the part I can't do. The author says to use a serpentine stitch...5 rows to secure the folds...no way would I be able to make this look right. So...my question (finally LOL) would 5 rows of straight stitches look dumb? Or...would zigzag stitches look better? Those are the only stitches I have ever used on my machine...have had it 12 years. I just checked my manual and I do have a triple zigzag stitch on this machine...that???

I really like the look of this handle compared to what I normally make...just 2 regular handles using a contrast fabric from the bag body.

I don't want to screw this up since...if you read my post about buying the fabric and supplies...it cost me about $65.