Thread: Old vs New
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 07:55 AM
LisaGibbs

I have to admit, I thought you were all crazy to hunt down and use the old machines when there are so many newer machines that do everything from thread to cut the threads on sewn pieces. Then it happened. My Brother, MeMe, is beginning to show her age as one of the first generation "new plastic" machines and was really struggling to make a straight line over seams. She has been serviced and still is good for several things, except where a 1/4" seam is not mandatory. My BFF had bought his daughters a machine at an auction and they didn't want to sew at all so he gave it to me.

Maggie is a 1968 New Home workhorse who knows the value of a perfectly straight seam regardless of how many seams are to be sewn through. Not to mention the time I spent was cut by more than half when I was not fighting with the other one.

I still am wanting the Brother I have been saving for because it has so many new stitches to help with some of my other projects, but for basic seams I finally figured out why there are so many of you going back to the basics of a machine.