View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 10:51 AM
Honeynga

Originally Posted by erstan947
My Grandma said, "every stitch you sew on Sunday you will take out with your nose in heaven". At least I'll have something to do when I get to heaven:)
Oh those were my teachings exactly ! When I grew up there were not stores open on Sunday, therefore, no shopping....too, I don't think were restaurants open on Sunday either...not that we would have eaten in one !

I wasn't "allowed" to put on play clothes on Sunday either, had to wear church clothes all day.....NOR did we sew or even cut out anything on Sunday.....

HOWEVER, this is the best part ! My foster father always kept on his long sleeve white shirt and tie all day.....and Sunday was the day he would check the oil in the car....it was an old car and every time he would put his arm wherever around the motor to check the oil he would get oil on the sleeve of his shirt...so what did he do, he cut the end of the horn off because that is what was getting him dirty ! So, then the horn had more of an ugga sound rather than a horn sound !

This is the same man and same car that he changed the oil in and was too cheap to buy a filter....put a roll of toilet paper in where the filter should of been.....car ran hot one day and foster mother took it into a garage and learned what had happened......don't think he did that again !

Looking back, those weren't "bad" times, however, not to make an excuse, I find sewing and other crafts extremely relaxing and don't view it as work.

Today I sew on Sunday, even though I'm retired and can sew any day, but an afternoon spent at my sewing machine or cutting table is more relaxing and rewarding !