View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 12:04 PM
AshleyR

Default Hand Quilting and the LQS

Shopping at quilt store is not a happy time to me. Since "all" I do is hand-quilt, I haven't had much of a need for them. And to me, it's like shopping at Victoria's Secret. I know there's stuff in there that can make me better, but I rarely step over the thresh-hold...
I have decided to try one of those Aunt Becky quilt-tools, so, I went to the quilt shop to buy one. I think I walked in on a class, because there were about 10 ladies on machines. One of them came to help me, but had never heard of the Aunt Becky (how I wish there was a better name than that!!) so she asked someone else, who knew they didn't have one but would be happy to order one for me. I told her they were just a few bucks off the internet so I'd order one. She didn't care. I thanked them both and left.
I did order two of them when I got to the office. It was quick and easy and I'll have to wait a week or so, but that's ok. When I get them, I'll take them to the same shop and show them what I was talking about. I don't think it will matter. I just feel that they are fat quarters, quilt books, and machine sales stores. I'm not saying that's *all* quilt stores, but I think one of the reasons hand-quilting is a "dying art" is because there's no support in the quilt stores, because there's not much profit to be made on "hand quilting".
I bought my Aunt Becky's on that Connecting Threads website. I figured since I was making an order, I'd look at their thread. So I searched their site for "hand quilting thread" and they showed me some pretty colors, but I didn't see where they were coated for handquilting. Then I searched "hand quilting" and "handquilting" and they showed me the Aunt Becky, some fabric, a pack of needles, some tutorials... and quilting gloves.
I hate to say this... But I guess I'll stick with Joann's and Michaels, AC Moore and Hobby Lobby for my tools and batting and what I can't find, I'll purchase off the internet. I'd love to support the "little guy", but when the "little guy" can't support me, I give up.