Thread: I'm so happy
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 06:22 PM
quilter in the making

I won a baby girl. Let me explain. When we were hoping to adopt a baby, the adoption agency usually only placed about 20 babies per year. They sent a letter saying that it was too hard to explain their lottery system by letter and to call them for more detailed information. I called them on a Friday morning and they explained that they usually only opened the list for potential adoptive families once or twice a year and that to get on the list, you had to call in every morning and ask if the list was open. I asked how soon I should start calling and the social worker said that she would recommend I start calling on Monday. I thought it sounded pretty sketchy to me, but after discussing it with my then husband over the weekend, we decided it was worth a shot. My boss was in on Monday, so I couldn't make a personal call, so hubby called the agency and called back to tell me we were on the list. What he didn't think to ask at the time was which list we made, the list to adopt an infant or the list for a child over 3. We decided we really didn't care. One year, one week and one day after receiving the initial letter back from the agency we picked our daughter up from the adoption agency. She was a month old the day we picked her up. She just turned 30 last week. She has brought so much joy to our lives and is the best lottery prize ever!!