View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 01:26 AM
Aurora

I also ordered an Aunt Becky on line over a year ago so I would have one "just in case" when I started to hand quilt. But I haven't gotten to that point yet. I have been practicing on squares to make Microwave Bowls for Chirstmas gifts. I have also been purchasing stencils for handquilting as well. One of the local stores where I purchase fabric has a limited selection of stencils, but I purchase a couple each time they get new ones in stock and I have ordered a few off line.

I seldom get a chance to shop at a Hobby Lobby, JoAnns, or other big box store as the nearest ones are over 65 miles from where I live. I am grateful I have the internet to learn about techniques and tools available. Part of moving back to Kentucky was to slow my life down and I moved right in the middle of "hurry up and get it quilted", unfortunately with my fellow guild members our local LAQ is months behind in getting their quilts finished. I think there are two other members besides myself who do some hand quilting, but for me it is something I have wanted to do since my Aunt took me to her ladies quilting group when I was 15. I doubt my Aunt ever heard of an Aunt Becky and I am sure my other Aunt only used a thimble and needle and thread.

Maybe some day I will have a quilt LAQ, but for the time being I am all about hand quilting and learning to slowdown my life. I have accepted the fact that my greatest quilting tool is the internet for ideas, patterns, books, tools, and techniques.