Thread: Do you...?
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 05:59 PM
JoanneS

I haven't been able to handquilt for several years, so all of my quilts are machine quilted. I feel that they CAN stand up to machine washing and drying better than handquilted quilts, so I include washing and drying instructions when I give them as gifts. When I give wall hangings that have fabrics that should NOT be washed, I say so in the message that goes with the quilt.

I NEVER make gift quilts larger than lap size (except for DD's & DS's families), so home machines are fine. I've only made bed sized quilts for family, and I've explained to them about using bathtubs to wash their quilts and about being very careful about pushing the water out (instead of lifting and wringing), rinsing and having 4 hands (or more!) to lift the wet quilt out of the tub. I've had good luck with commercial washers, cold water and Orvus quilt soap - then I use the commercial dryer. They are larger than home machines, so they accomodate bed-size - even queen-size quilts - so I've told both my DD and DDIL about using them.