View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 06:01 PM
omak

As a color challenged human, I always get uncomfortable when someone starts going into colors matching or colors complementing or brings out a color wheel.
I quilt because I like doing practical things, I like the colors and I really enjoy all the angles. I would LOVE to be able to make a quilt that was color correct, but I get so excited by my stash that I just start pulling out the things I like and put them together and HOPE it is okay ... (in other words, that I will like it)
I don't think much of the hippies, but they did loosen up that color wheel, didn't they? <g>
anyway, I will admit to being a hard learner/knot head/challenge student <g>, but sooner or later, it dawns on someone that their quilt doesn't look exactly like they thought it should. When someone mentions contrast, it starts sinking in ... how to combine the over zealous zest for color with a manageable/recognizable quilt pattern is something I think people grow into ... and through time, being exposed to other quilters, I have come to understand texture, even! ... not that I want to know much more than that.
I think, reading all the things, and to spare beginners information overload, maybe understand how different people learn is the key to all teaching, and even learning ... some students READ ... some students LOOK and figure it out sans patterns, technique experience or everything else others go through (over achievers! LOL) ... some students have to SEE an operation done a number of times to understand the technique they are trying to learn.
One of the greatest gifts a teacher can give a student is the confidence to learn in exactly the way that student needs to learn. Students get so frustrated with themselves because they don't catch on like their neighbor does ... they just need to relax and accept the way they learn and work to achieve that technique. I always try to teach people to understand themselves, and work with themselves just as they are.
I know it sounds all so psychological, but it is as simple as understanding that we all have different gifts and different approaches, but even those differences compliment, not compete and boil down to three to five different approaches.
I know our teacher friend that started this thread wants to make sure that she has satisfied, taught students because of the joy she has in the effort.
That heart will be revealed within her students ... it always is. <g>