Thread: SO BUMMED :(
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 07:48 AM
kellen46

You did not say if you were doing fmq or sid. I see your machine in the background and if it is flush with the cabinet that is a good start. Perhaps if you had a table behind your machine for the bulk of the quilt to rest on that would help...it doesn't have to be a permanent installation. An inexpensive folding table would do.
Also the small harp can be a problem. I bought a $600 Brother straight stitch just for this as it has a larger harp. I only use it for quilting larger pieces. That might not be an option for now but keep it in mind. A harp even only 2" longer makes a big difference on large quilts.
If you are fmq then invest in a supreme slider. It makes a huge difference and also find some latex palm gloves in the gardening department. It helps you "grab" the sandwich with out cramping out your hands. Lastly practice practice practice. You said this was your first try at quilting. It takes several quilts to be comfortable and that is true no matter what method you use from by hand to long arm you will have to learn a skill. So to sum it up, give your self room....table, reduce drag...flush bed, supreme slider, grippy gloves, time...to learn the skill. Most importantly is to remember to take it easy on yourself. You will make mistakes...we all do. If the back has pinchies and pokies so what. Whomever puts this quit on their bed will treasure the warmth it offers. As for bedding in general remember this...the user will lay down in a dark room with their eyes closed and prepare to become unconsciousus, in that instance warmth is much more important than a blue ribbon.