View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 08:04 AM
Nancy Ingham

Originally Posted by JANNY
Found this quilt pattern that I would like to start as a long-term project to work on slowly between other projects. The problem is, it takes over 30 yds of fabric for the window frames. That's a lot to keep stored as I need it along the way. I'm afraid if I buy it as I go, I may not be able to get the same fabric. What about if all the window frame fabric isn't the same tone on tone print? Any suggestions?

I just love the Cathedral Window pattern! I made a pillow 30 years ago and am now making a king-sized quilt with the pattern making it the old traditional way using muslin for my backing material. When I tire with it, I put it aside and work on something else. It is a great project to travel with to work on while waiting at appointments, etc., my basket in always in the car.
To address your concern: I have bought muslin at varies yard sales, Jo-ann’s and from an Amish shop in Middlebury Indiana. They all vary slightly in weight, so I am just making and stacking all my completed two-envelope blocks with the one window and will sew them together mixing them up. Many quilters use this method deliberately in order to give their quilt an old fashioned/homemade look. Some even tea dye their muslin in order that it looks old. Quilters in past times made their quilts in just this manner with what they had on hand. So go ahead and have fun with it! What I like is that when you have completed joining your pieces together your quilt is done, no batting, backing, or binding to do. I do however cut a 2” square of batting to place behind my 2 ¼” window squares to give the quilt some weight and warmth. My friend is making a queen sized Cathedral Window quilt where ever window will be different. I don’t have that many scraps to use up so will be repeating some windows throughout the quilt. While others choose to make all the windows the very same. It is your quilt….relax and have fun with it. I would love to see pictures of it when you have completed it.