View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 10:21 PM
GailG

Originally Posted by Roben
I'm getting ready to teach a class, and having taken a class or two :-) I have on occasion wishing the instructor could read my mind and cover things I had questions about. Since the shoe is about to be on the other foot :twisted: and I haven't learned to read minds, I thought I'd just ask:

What do you wish a class instructor would cover? What do they assume you know that you wish they'd go into more detail about? Was there anything you really appreciated?

Our class will be on a wall hanging I designed, and will cover how to make the blocks and do the border treatments (folded border and prairie points.) We'll talk about quilting options for the final piece, but probably won't have time to go over how to do each one.

I haven't taught quilting classes (Ha, that would be a riot!), but I have taught garment-sewing classes. I think the most important thing to do at the beginning is find out just what skills the students already know. That way you won't be planning things that they already know, thus taking time that could be used on something else.

I've taken a couple of quilting classes where the instructor had samples made in progression. Rather that sitting to sew, she would have the pieces all made. This would be time consuming on your part, but well worth the time when you get to class. Instead of just explaining how something is done or sitting to sew it, the sample would be made for the students to see. (Your samples could be assemble after so you would have more blocks done.) That's how I did my garment units. After class I would assemble my garments.

Also arrange your area so that all can see and hear clearly

These may sound petty, but it makes for better class management.
YIKES! Other than deleting and rewriting, I don't know how to correct this. Sorry about this. I think you can find my response in here somewhere. Must be time to go to bed. :oops: