Thread: Other Crafts
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 09:48 AM
beatys9

About 25 years ago I started making family calendars every Christmas for parents & grandparents. I use photos I've taken throughout the year; family get togethers & trips, etc. Then blow them up to 8 x 10 and double mat them on colors, and mount on pre-purchased calendars. They are the last gift to be opened each Christmas & everyone wants to see what photos 'made the calendar'. It is a family tradition now.

As the grandkids got older, it became clear that everyone wanted one but I was already making 9 calendars for 3 different branches of the family so I switched it up to scrapbooks for the grandkids (my nieces and nephews). About 5 years ago I gave them each a 12" x 12" scrap book with 2 pages per year starting when they were each born. It took a few years to catch up to present day... Still have a few holes to fill in. I use the calendar photos in 4" x 6" and scrapbook two 12" x 12'' pages with the year to add to their books. The parents & grandparents that are still around get the calendars and they are a family treasure. When my husband's grandma passed 9 years ago, she left her calendars to us so I got to look back at those wonderful memories of trips to visit her in Tennessee.

With digital cameras, the price has gone down to make them. Now you can send away to have these printed for you but I still like the mounting process and the photo look. I do all the printing myself now and start in September in hopes that I will not be rushing at the end but enevitably, I'm still scrapbooking days before Christmas... This year I will be starting books for my kids, the youngest of the 'grandkids'.