View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 10:33 AM
Ellen

Originally Posted by MCH
Do you really think the earth is going to stop spinning on its axis if you don't re-cycle, go "green", or whatever the moniker of the day is?
Do you really think the earth is going to send you a thank you for "saving" it? The earth doesn't care what you do or don't do.
If it makes you feel better to use your God-given common sense to use glass instead of plastic, carry your groceries home in a canvas bag instead of a plastic or paper one, compost all your clippings, etc. then you've succeed in you goal. That is, you feel better.
In the context of how long the earth has been spinning on its axis and perpetually repairing itself relative to the life span of a human being, I doubt that in 100 years what you compost today will make a bit of difference.
On the other hand, here's a very real problem. We have been encouraged and trained to waste our hard-earned money on buying "stuff" that is generally junk. Perhaps it's more important to consider the choices we make relative to spending our money and what we get in return over "saving the earth".
BTW, I live in the same town as Solyndra (the poster child for "green" and the oh-so-politically correct business that is now bankrupt and skimmed $500 million dollars of your and my tax dollars). Yeah, in that world, "green" is your tax dollars tossed down a rat hole and chewed up by rats.

If you feel good about what you're doing, fine. Just don't expect the earth to thank you.
Besides that, Al Gore is a certifiable NUT. A rich one now but still certifiable.