View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 10:43 AM
Honeynga

I've read this post several times today and have attempted to reply a couple....I too am retired, somewhat disabled, live on a very meager income.....but somehow I manage to get by. I only buy what I can afford, (which isn't much); my taste and my pocketbook are miles apart !

I just started quilting earlier this year; already had a mat and a couple of rotary cutters....bought a couple of all purpose type rulers...I assume they are all purpose, they do whatever I need them to do !

My first quilt was a denim rag....I bought the jeans at a thrift store; a couple of flannel shirts for accent blocks, happened to have some duck type cloth left from another project and ended up making a pretty good rag quilt after all.

I had some fabric already because when I was living for a few months in MO recovering from a heart attack and stroke and needed to do something with my hands. I started making "designer" quilts that my daughter would sell for me at craft fairs in MO.

When I moved back to GA I knew that I couldn't make and go to craft fairs on my own so decided to try quilting and the rest is history.

Quilting has really become somewhat of a life saver for me; the stroke and heart attack and the fact I had to give up a full time job was most depressing.

I honestly credit quilting and the QB with lifting me out of a deep depression; giving me something to think about, plan and read about and live vicariously (sp?) through you guys and your quilts.

One of my girls gave me beginning lessons and a $100 gift to LQS for my birthday....what an awesome gift.

I've made 3 tops already, made another rag quilt, and have made blocks for a DP9, this week made my first Dresden plate out of left over Christmas patterned fabric I had bought for aprons and am amazed how it looks.

At one time in my life and when I started a new project, i.e., knitting, oil painting, etc., I would go out and buy everything I thought I would need...can't do that anymore. Have to budget carefully for any fabric and only buy what is on sale what I can afford. I received a subsc to a quilting mag for mother's day and enjoy that.

I have a "master" list of things I would like to add to my quilting supplies, i.e., more stash, batting, backing, a new rotary cutter and a new mat.

It's ok, I love quilting and owe it and you folks a debt of gratitude for it.
Sincerely,
Sandy