View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Fixedgearhead

I had a chance to take a picture of the quilt that my wife just got from a cousin that her great grandmother made in 1930. When we hung it up to take a picture we discovered a rather curious shape to the upper 1/3 of the quilt. It appears to have been expanded when it was made with the addition of a number of extra pieces of pattern to allow for a widening of the shape on one side. I have never seen this sort of thing done and I have no reason why the maker would have done this. All the other edges are square to each other with the exception of the upper left edge. Curious to say the least. It will probably forever remain a mystery, as the maker is long gone as are any contemporaries of hers. The quilt is rather large over 7' long by 5' wide. And the blue is a flying geese pattern. The name of the man is at the top and her name is in the 2nd and 3rd line and his family name is on the 4th line and the date of 1930 at the bottom. There is a small spot of blood in the center of the quilt that goes all the way through to the back. Almost not noticeable, but it is there. I may attempt to remove it after I try some of the various remedies on the portion of the stain that is on the back. If it doesn't respond, then it will become part of the history of the quilt. It is now hanging in our living room and looks just fine, as it is. So we may not do anything to it at all.
John

A curious shaped quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]273434[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-273381.jpe