View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 01:15 PM
JCL in FL

Originally Posted by AshleyR
Shopping at quilt store is not a happy time to me. Since "all" I do is hand-quilt, I haven't had much of a need for them. And to me, it's like shopping at Victoria's Secret. I know there's stuff in there that can make me better, but I rarely step over the thresh-hold...
I have decided to try one of those Aunt Becky quilt-tools, so, I went to the quilt shop to buy one. I think I walked in on a class, because there were about 10 ladies on machines. One of them came to help me, but had never heard of the Aunt Becky (how I wish there was a better name than that!!) so she asked someone else, who knew they didn't have one but would be happy to order one for me. I told her they were just a few bucks off the internet so I'd order one. She didn't care. I thanked them both and left.
I did order two of them when I got to the office. It was quick and easy and I'll have to wait a week or so, but that's ok. When I get them, I'll take them to the same shop and show them what I was talking about. I don't think it will matter. I just feel that they are fat quarters, quilt books, and machine sales stores. I'm not saying that's *all* quilt stores, but I think one of the reasons hand-quilting is a "dying art" is because there's no support in the quilt stores, because there's not much profit to be made on "hand quilting".
I bought my Aunt Becky's on that Connecting Threads website. I figured since I was making an order, I'd look at their thread. So I searched their site for "hand quilting thread" and they showed me some pretty colors, but I didn't see where they were coated for handquilting. Then I searched "hand quilting" and "handquilting" and they showed me the Aunt Becky, some fabric, a pack of needles, some tutorials... and quilting gloves.
I hate to say this... But I guess I'll stick with Joann's and Michaels, AC Moore and Hobby Lobby for my tools and batting and what I can't find, I'll purchase off the internet. I'd love to support the "little guy", but when the "little guy" can't support me, I give up.
I have been there and I vented here also.I am mainly a hand quilter also. My first visit to the local quilt shop, I wanted to join a class to make a quilt they had displayed but at the time I only had a console machine and was told I could use one of their machines if paid I paid $35.00 for each of the two classes, plus paid the $35.00 for the class and I had to purchase the fabric from them. I said so it'll will cost me $105. plus fabric, batting and backing to make this baby quilt and she said yes. Well I left and didn't return for several years when I was in the market to buy a new machine and there happened to be a class going on. One gal came over and told me she didn't really know the machines that well and come back some other time. Not any questions or take my # to call and set up a time, nothing. I left and bought my machine elsewhere.
I didn't return for another couple years and I was in the area and all I needed was some quilting thread. I was told by the lady in the store "there wasn't a difference in hand quilting thread and machine thread". And I said yes there is a difference and so the lady asked someone else and she said they had some somewhere in a little basket but they couldn't find it. I know most people prefer machine quilting and I marvel at the lovely work done by machines but REALLY. I don't care that they carry many shades of quilting thread but surely they can reserve a small place for white, black and off white.
I was told at another quilt shop that was super large and super cool that he considered "hand" quilting a four lettered word and to not say it. He was joking but It irritated me. It said to me, "I am not making as much off you so don't waste my time"
I have done a lot of shopping on line because of my treatment at local quilt shops and I like you would prefer to keep my $ local. They are missing out when they cater only to machine quilters.