View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 03:46 PM
hobbykat1955

OK I travel with my cat to our second home 140 miles away every two wks back and forth...The first couple of trips were torture with her Meows and clawing at the cage door.
She also hyberventalated if she saw moving objects thru the side of the cage...I had to blow in her face to snap her out of it...
Here's what I did and now she loves traveling...
First I had a small cage and she hated it so I got the next size...noise from cars and trucks and wind upset them so keep windows closed...
Cover the cage with a towel or blanket on the sides so she can only see out the front. Put a nice warm blanket or towel or small pillow in the cages for her/him to sit/sleep on.
Don't use a dog least they will get out of it. You need a cat body harness and leash you can get at the pet store. But at rest stops I'd just put her in the bigger cage with the litter and let her go but again make sure you have the harnass leash on her to transfer her from one cage to the other. You might lose control of her without it if she gets nervous and starts struggling.
Don't feed her where her litter is...they won't eat near where they go. So when she's finished and back in the small cage put her food in that and feed her before you start your trip again..don't forget water at the same time. Remove dishes because it will just spill when moving.
You'll probably have allot of meowing till she adapts and hope it doesn't cont the whole 750 miles but just be patient and talk to her/him.
In the motel I'd let her stay in the larger cage because if she doesn't know you and you let her loose your going to have a hell of a time trying to catch her, though in the Bthrm not much she can hide under but don't let her out into the rm...she'll get under those beds and you'll wish you didn't let her loose.
My vet won't give meds...for traveling...but can't hurt to ck.
Good Luck...