View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 07:20 PM
MarthaT

Originally Posted by Sewfine
Wow! antique. I am not sure I understand about the "foundation pieced on newspaper." Guess I need to do some research.
Sorry, I meant to answer this earlier...foundation piecing can be done with fabric, but most use paper so you can tear it away and be left with just one layer of fabric.

In the case of this quilt, squares of newspaper were cut of the finished size of the block. A fabric strip of random width was put across the center, then another strip, good sides together was placed on top, sewn, flipped over and more strips sewn on until the square of paper is covered. Then flip it over and trim the strips to the size of the square. Paper can be torn off before or after sewing the squares together. (Did that make any sense?)

Guess this was done before the days of rotary cutters. I guess today we'd just sew a bunch of strips together and then use our cutters and cut them into the desired size squares.

I never thought about that being one of the many changes rotary cutters have brought to our lives. Do any of you foundation piece this way any more?