Thread: Moving to FL
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 10:42 AM
susiequilt

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
WOW being born and raised in central FLorida (Tampa) and still living here I was shocked how many negative things people pointed out and no positive. So here you go - I can take out my trash year round and never wear snow shoes, gloves, hats, etc. I spent Christmas 2010 at the beach. We MAY have a hurricane threat this year but you will definitely have snow storms every year. We offer year round outside activities such as fishing, kayaking, surfing, bike riding and even sitting in the park reading. As far as the comment about northern residents and people here being mean I must add - I bought my first home in Zephyrhills, FL (30-40 miles north of Tampa) and 70% winter residents. The stores my be a little more busy when they arrive but it keeps our prices down. Most of the negative attitudes I encounter are winter residents who seem upset having to deal with local residents. Hello - we live here and this is our home - you're just visiting. I have been to Kentucky, Minnesota, Tennessee, Chicago, Conneticut, Georgia, Cape Cod, NY and the Ozark mountains. The people I meet there ar no more or less friendly than here. Sorry if I sound short but being a native my biggest pet peeve is standing in a store and hearing people talk about how much they hate Florida, yet they're in Florida. We have no rule that says you have to stay. I think you're family will find the people here nice as anywhere else and a thousand things to do year round. As far as home owners insurance and taxes I can only speak for mine - I have relatives in CT and NY and both pay almost double what the same house is in our area.
I've been here 26 years and I won't go back!!!!!!
I love it both Winter and Summer for all the reasons above!
While we love to see the snowbirds come, we also love to see them go!
It helps to be an outdoor person but it's not a requirement.
There's something for everyone to do here all year round.