View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 12:56 PM
scrappylady

Originally Posted by kathome
OK - Here's my advice based on experience. Twice I've had to move cats!! My first move was only a 30 minute drive and it was disaster with the cat in the carrier. I've learned alot since then.

About 4 years ago I drove from New Jersey to Texas with 2 cats. All went well and here's why:

If you want tranquilizers for the cat you will need to bring the cat TO the Vet, not just a phone call. No responsible Vet would prescribe a tranquilizer over the phone. Not only could it harm the animal, but very stupid humans have been known to take them to get high. (remember all the stories in the newspapers a few years ago?) So... the trip to the Vet will be a good indicator for the 750 miles to come.

Put the cat in the carrier. Sounds easy right? Not necessarily so. They are squirmers and will fight you all the way and then take off. Now you've got to chase it down and have a freaked out cat on your hands. Not a good start. My method of putting the cat in the carrier is to first stuff a pillow or the cat's bed on the bottom of the carrier. Preferably something that has the cat's scent on it. Then stand the carrier on it's end and gently put the cat in vertically back feet first. They can't see where they're going if you do it quickly enough. Then close the door and gently bring the carrier to a normal horizontal position.

If the Vet prescribes tranquilizers, follow the dosage, but I doubt you've ever tried to give a cat a pill. Again, not an easy task. So here's what you do: Get a can of the really expensive cat food. Not a chunky food, a smooth one. Crush the tranquilizer between two spoons and put it in a VERY small amount of the food. Smear this on the cat's front legs. Cats instinctively lick off anything that is on their fur. Voila! Medicine IN the cat!!

Now the following is REALLY IMPORTANT!!!! DRAPE A BLANKET over the carrier so the cat can't see. Then carry the cat in the carrier out to the ALREADY RUNNING VEHICLE. This way he/she is not freaked out by the sudden start of the engine and beeps and such.

Do NOT risk putting the cat out with a collar or a harness. I've yet to find a harness that my cat can't squirm out of - even the ones that are guaranteed "squirm-proof" and you will loose the cat if that happens. Also, don't be surprised if the cat does not eat or drink. On my trip to Texas (I drove 27 hours straight) my cat did not eat, drink or use the litter box, but survived quite well.

Oh, and one last thing, don't let the cat eat for a few hours before going on the long trip. If she freaks out she will vomit if she ate shortly before.

So that's all my advice on traveling with one of God's sweetest but strange and stubborn creatures.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Wish I had read this first...Very Wise advice given by a true cat person. LOVE THE Advatar.