View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 08:56 PM
chuckbere15

Originally Posted by Cosy
My problem is not slippage, at least not so much. My problem is getting the fabric actually cut. Even with a brand new blade, even cutting single layers, I get a lot of skips, where the fabric just isn't cut. If I go back, then the 2nd cut doesn't quite line up. I have an olfa 45 ml that I use mostly. I work on either my dinner table or the kitchen counter, the height doesn't seem to make a diference. I end up either using scissors or for strips, tearing. Any advice here?
I would find a guild and ask someone there for pointers. Take a yard, your ruler, and cutter. Go early, you may have to pay a guest fee, but two things will happen. First, someone will be more than happy to pass on their knowledge. This I learned from this board and the two guilds that I belong to. Another member mentioned having someone watch you and give pointers on technique. Second, you will make new friends and possibly join the guild.

I posted another comment before this reply as I'm now reading everyone advice, please take a look at my other comment and I bet you hand placement is all wrong as mine was.